Thursday 8 October 2020

Travel and Holidays: Lesson 3

Holiday Activities



Types of Holidays: What kinds of holiday do you want?


Compare the pictures:


Talk for TWO minutes:

We are going to talk together for about two minutes. Here are some things that people think are fun to do on holiday and a question for you to discuss. 

First you have some time to look at the task. 

Talk to each other about: 

'Why do people think these things are fun to do on holiday?'

Finally, 

'Which two activities are best for a family holiday?'

Useful Phrases:

To Start:

  • Which one shall we start with?
  • What do you think?
  • I think you know a lot about [_______]. What's your opinion on it?

Moving to the Next Item:

  • Shall we move onto [______] now?
  • So what about [______]?
  • I wonder if we can compare [current topic] to [new topic]?
  • What about this one? [Pointing to topic]
  • What do you think about this idea?
  • How do you feel about that one?
  • We're running out of time, so let's move on.
  • We still need to discuss [topic].
  • That connects with the next topic.
  • [Topic] is pretty similar to the last one - maybe we can skip it for now?

Ending your turn:

  • What do you think?
  • Don't you agree?
  • Do you have anything to say about that?
  • Do you have anything to add to that?
  • Did I forget anything?

 Interrupting:

  • Sorry to interrupt but...
  • Just a second...

Agreeing:

  • Right.
  • Good point.
  • I fully agree.
  • I was just thinking that!
  • I was just going to say that!
  • That's just what I was thinking.
  • I couldn't agree more.
  • You're totally right.

Disagreeing (with reasons):

  • Maybe, but what about...?
  • I think it would be better to...
  • I'm not so keen on that.
  • I don't really agree with you there.
  • Well maybe, but...
  • Yeah, but, the thing is...
  • The problem with what you said is...
  • For one thing...[reason 1] And for another... [reason 2]

Reaching a Decision:

  • Well, I think it's definitely not [topic]
  • We can eliminate [topic] right away. Don't you think?
  • So then, what do you think is the best one?
  • I guess you think we should choose [topic]?
  • Are we both in favour of [topic]?
  • Okay, so we agree.
  • I don't think we're going to agree on this!
  • Let's agree to disagree!

No comments:

Post a Comment