Tuesday 2 February 2021

Book Sale

“I may want to read it again one day” is the reason why my husband keeps every book he reads. Over 25 years most of them, never opened again after the first reading, have accumulated in our cellar. One day, however, thinking he’d never notice their absence, I donated most of them to a charity book sale. As I stood admiring the empty cellar, I heard Frank call to me, “I’m home early so I can get to the book sale before it closes.”

While he was gone, I prepared for the worst. But when he arrived home empty- handed, I asked him if there had been any books that interested him.

“Yes, there were lots of good ones,” he replied, “but I’ve got them all,”

What’s the Meaning ...

 1. accumulated

2. cellar

3. however

4. donated

5. charity

6. sale

7. admiring

8. empty- handed

Pronunciation Practice

1 reason

2 accumulated

3 cellar

4 absence

5 donated

6 charity

7 admiring

8 worst

9 empty- handed

10 lots of good ones

Questions

1. What does the writer’s husband do to every book he reads?
2. What did she do with the books one day?
3. What did her husband say when he came home from the charity book sale?

No comments:

Post a Comment